1. I myself, like to call you Miss Diddy. It just sounds so bossy. But since you have various names (Gracey, Miss Diddy, Chloe, etc), which name do you prefer to be called and do certain people get the privilege to call you by a specific name?
LOL! Each Name has its own meaning and has become an ongoing joke I find funny each time someone brings it up. Everyone pretty much has called me Diddy for the past 8 to 10 years. Miss Diddy came from me signing up on Twitter and not just wanting the name Diddy. I wanted to add some femininity to it. Family calls me by my real name but my mom calls me Diddy often when she thinks I’m being sassy. Miss Diddy has built its own brand. I am humbled by how big my brand has gotten. It’s a hard name to carry as a women being that Puff is the greatest to ever do basically anything in entertainment. No shade to anyone else, that’s just my opinion. Therefore, I work hard to ensure I have substance behind the name and that everyone else sees it.
2. How did you first get into the entertainment industry?
My dad is a musician. I grew up around music and my whole family is music. My Great Grand Mother had her own publishing company and this was back in the day when it was unheard of from Blacks especially a Black Woman. She wrote with Mahalia Jackson. My dad’s godmother is Della Reese. He was signed to Holland Dozier Holland. So, I am really an “old head” in my mind when it comes to music and entertainment. My god father Leo Nocentelli was the lead guitarist in funk superstar of New Orleans band, “The Meters.” He was another reason for me being around music and entertainment.
I formally was introduced as my own brand in music/entertainment when Kanye West started G.O.O.D. Music. I did the west coast lifestyle promotions for G.O.O.D. Music by creating what was known as the G.O.O.D. Girls. It included about 20 beautiful ladies as a street team when it was just known for “rough looking dudes” doing street teams. The problem was I was young and I didn’t understand the totality of how major the brand was that I was a part of because they are family to me. Being with Kanye, he introduced me to everyone. I could never repay him for the relationships I gained and sustained as a result of him.
Kenny Burns who is also my mentor introduced me to Jenn Choi. Jenn Choi, at that time was the top #1 PR Chick in Hollywood nightlife. She was this Korean, two seater Benz driving, hard working, woman who saw the potential in me. She instantly put me on in the nightlife world. This was before buying tables was even the cool thing to do. The G.O.O. D. Girls would walk in a club and she would already have a table setup for us. She made sure the DJ shouted us out 20 times and she created this intense buzz around the G.O.O.D Girls and the rest is history.
3. For those that aren’t quite familiar with Miss Diddy and the work that you do, coming from the woman herself, what is the best way to describe your line of work/title/position?
Sheesh! I’m the Ambassador of LA. If you come to LA, you are going to need me to connect the dots. LOL! I am the only woman promoter in urban nightlife in Hollywood. I have a few things in the makings but I’ll have a surprise for people’s televisions soon. I’m a featured columnist for Edge Magazine. (EdgeMagazinesite.com) *features* #MissDiddysDEN. Also, I’m the Brand Ambassador for one of the top boutiques in Los Angeles called Le Bloc Society (leblocsociety.com), who is owned by my really good friend Keana. Truly, if I could, I would give it all up and dedicate my whole life right now to saving our generation.
4. From your experience and having many “celebrity” friends, what would you say are key elements to separating business from pleasure/friendship? Some of us just don’t know when to draw the line. It’s a very hard thing that I struggle with everyday because all I want to do is help everyone’s career. So sometimes I’ve had celebrity friends that end up being opportunists because of my connections. Mainly, the Celebrities that are my friends, we have been friends for years so I don’t separate them from my hardworking, 9-5 working friends who may not be on TV or radio. Anyone that knows me knows that I have had the same friends for over 10 years anyway.
5. How does Miss Diddy stay so fly? Being of African American descent and darker skin (like myself), what are some of your trustworthy beauty and skin regimens?
GIRL! I am Caramel BOO! I have been blessed with good skin. I inherited a bad habit from my Big Sis Meagan Good of not washing off my makeup when I go to sleep at night. She taught me all the good tricks about makeup. I do use Lady Dee’s skin exfoliation everyday which is on Robertson in Beverly Hills. I use witch hazel, ponds face moisturizer and Bath & Body works body cream. I’m a smell fanatic and I use MAC Makeup. Also, I only use Caress or Dove soap on my body.
6. If you could name something or someone, who/what would you say inspires you?
GOD! My Mother every single day! My brother Michael is my hero! I would never have the mental capacity and strength to battle my own reasons to throw in the towel without them.
7. What is something(s) that you absolutely can’t live without?
The 3 people in the previous questions. My close friends: Audra, Danelle, Dayana, Koloni, Zipp, Bridget Kelly, my phone, my close family, candles, some good tilapia, my incredible abs…SWAGG! My intelligence and charisma!
8. What would be your advice to other women out here when it comes to having goals, a dream and wanting to reach success?
Be Smart, Be Smart, Be Smart! Be Strategic, Be honest with yourself. Stay the Course when everything is against you. Keep your integrity at an all time high. Never let money be your motivation. Love God with your whole heart. Never think you know everything to the point you don’t listen to wise counsel. Never Stop! Be Diligent and Patient at the same time! Whew that’s hard to do!
9. What is one thing people would never know about you unless you tell them?
I’m actually very sensitive. I care about love more than my career. A perfect evening to me is laying in my bed and watching a movie. The 2 people I always listen to are Sam Cooke and Jeezy and Sam is playing on my Mac as I do this interview!
10. Where can we, the viewers, stay in touch with you and your work?
Inquiries or bookings: MissDiddySays@Gmail.com