1. Where did you come up with the name TiKeDi for your fashion line? And how many are behind the brand itself? The name TiKeDi was derived from our names. Ti is the first two letters of Ti, Ke is the first two letters of both of our middle names Keenya and Kenya, and Di is the first two letters of our last name Dickenson. There are two people behind the brand TiKeDi, Ti and Asia Dickenson.
2. Explain your line for those who have no clue on what you create and sale..
TiKeDi offers a modern twist to your favorite basics, embracing every individual ability to be unique. We offer shredded pieces (dresses and shirts) suitable for every women and any occasion. All of our produces are fully shredded, made to order, and the entire process is done by hand. Because our customers are our number one priority every piece is made for the individual.
3. What is a day in the life of you and your brand like? A TiKeDi day is filled with waking up in the morning and checking all emails and orders. After checking emails and orders made overnight we then ship out orders that has been already processed and completed. We then go ahead and start on all new orders, and we work on those all night (usually up until 6 am). And every other Friday and Saturday we drop off pieces/ orders to ATL boutiques as they are demanded.
4. From your experience, what are 5 key components to running and maintaining a successful business?
–> Customer service is always key, we would not be where we are today without our customers and their loyalty. And as consumers ourselves we know what it is like to have good customer service, and we know what its like to experience bad customer service
–> Organization For us organization is the number one component, it drives our customer service, marketing, communication, and our fresh ideas. By staying organized we are able to maintain stability in our work environment and with each other. If we are unorganized or one thing is out of place it messed with the order in our work space, orders get messed up, and that is something that we can not only not afford but it is also unpleasant for the customers.
–> Marketing Social networking and marketing is the fuel for our business. You have to market so that your product can be seen. Instagram has been one of the biggest contributers to our marketing platform. We live in an age of visual stimulation, so when people can see our products on people other than models, on people who look like them and I, they are more likely to buy.
–> Communication Communication with our customers and supporters is very important to us, but communication with one another is even more important. Because we are twins, and the fact that we live together and work together, it can be easy to mix business with personal. Lucky for us we are each other ying and yang so we balance one another out. We are a team and we work as such, so there are no mix ups, no hard feelings, and we are able to deal with each other when we are not in TiKeDi mode.
–>Fresh ideas In order to continue to gain new followers and customers and to keep the ones we already have we have to always come up with new ideas. In this industry it is so easy to fall over to the waste side or to be forgotten. Fresh ideas keep us current, it keeps us in the spotlight and it keeps the consumers wanting more.
5. As the designer, what do you hope the consumer understands about your pieces just by seeing, touching and/or wearing Tikedi?
We just want the consumer to understand that TiKeDi is made for them. TiKeDi was not built and designed with one type of female in mind. Everyone can be comfortable and sexy in TiKeDi.
6. Describe the type of woman the Tikedi line is made for.
TiKeDi is made for all women. If you are confident in your skin then TiKeDi is for you. If you are a little shy and sweet then TiKeDi is for you. If you want to discover your “sexy” then TiKeDi is definitely for you. All TiKeDi pieces are offered in a range of sizes from xs to 4x because we want everyone to feel included. TiKeDi is not geared towards just the “normal” size woman. Anyone can wear our pieces and they do.
7. After following you on several Social sites, the one thing I’ve noticed and what stands out about you to me is your confidence. What can you say to the young girls reading this that may help them love the skin they are in?
We will tell them what our mother always told us “You will never know what it is like to be someone else, you will always be you, love and accept the skin you are in, it makes no sense wishing that you are/ were someone else.” You will always be black/white/spanish, you will always be female. These are things that we cannot change. You can only be the best you that God and the universe has intended. Pray for mental stability and then live for you.
8. If you could choose one person, dead or alive, famous or not, to be the face of your brand, who would it be and why?
The one person who would be the face of TiKeDi would have to be our current model Crissy. More than anything TiKeDi is a family business and she has stuck with us from day one. Being in the business for years and being signed to an agency she never told us no or acted as if she was too big for TiKeDi, we can never thank her enough for that. Second runner up would be Rihanna though. We love Bad gal RiRi
9. If you don’t mind sharing, what’s next for Tikedi? and do you have any plans on incorporating men pieces to your collection?
Our current goal is to be placed in at least one boutique in every major city (NYC, LA, ATL, Vegas, etc.) We will also like to make enough of a profit to start donating a portion of every order to a charity whose focus is the well being of girls. We hope to reach ladies worldwide and make everyone feel beautiful and sexy when they wear TiKeDi. We pray that TiKeDi becomes bigger than our dreams and the brand becomes a go to brand for shredded pieces. We definitely would love to be placed in international boutiques at some point. Also we are currently working on a sister site filled with fun and affordable accessories, the website for that is www.keenyab.bigcartel.com
10. Where can the audience keep in contact with you and your work?
We can be reached a number of ways.Website: www.tikedi.bigcartel.com, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Instagram: ShopTiKeDi, Facebook: TiKeDi, Twitter: ShopTiKeDi. For those who are in Atlanta or metro Atlanta our pieces can be found at Envy ATL boutique in Little Five Points.